It’s a bit trite, and increasingly cliche, to list all of the things for which we’re thankful as we approach Thanksgiving.
For sure, I’m thankful for it all. For my family. For our health. For the great fortune to work at a place like SOCIALDEVIANT. Thank you, pilgrims.
I’m making a concerted effort to not simply give thanks once a year, officially.
I’m making a concerted effort to give thanks daily, for all of the blessings big and small in my life.
But this year….this year, I’d like to give thanks for all the things in my life that have made me re-think other things.
Things that have not gone our way, or my way, like this.
1. I’m thankful for the client that has walked away from us. Thank you for being the forcing function that has forced us to be better, every single day.
2. I’m thankful for the massive bruise on my shin incurred when falling off my bike, training for a Tri. Thank you for reminding me that I have no business being on a bike.
3. I’m thankful for the 14 people that have declined an offer from SOCIALDEVIANT. Thank you for reminding me that there are indeed other (potentially tastier) options out there, and that we must continually work to be the tastiest.
4. I’m thankful for the banks that have refused us Lines of Credit. Thank you for reminding me that success is no replacement for number of years in business.
5. I’m thankful to Advertising Age for not choosing us as a small agency to watch. Thank you for the reminder that being the fastest growing agency in Chicago with an amazing client roster isn’t enough. We will try again (and again) and again to get on your radar.
6. I’m thankful for the technology that has failed to work in almost every big client meeting or pitch in 2014. Thank you for showing me that creativity and resilience will always trump seamless technology.
7. I’m thankful for the countless people that pass me every day as I’m swimming my laps. Thank you for reminding me that just about everyone in the world is a faster swimmer than I.
8. I’m thankful for the fact that my Mom thinks I’m a teacher. Thank you for reminding me that no matter how close someone might be to you, they really don’t know you.
9. I’m thankful for the $10,000 of damage and general havoc our dog Lily has wreaked in our home. Thank you for reminding me that unconditional love has no price.
10. I’m thankful for the weather patterns in Chicago that has introduced the term Polar Vortex to my vocabulary. In November. Thank you for showing me that life is about so much more than the weather – and that people bonded together against a common enemy are people bonded together by an inseparable glue.
BUT above all…I’m thankful for all of you.
For the ecosystem of DEVIANTS clients partners friends and family that have helped SOCIALDEVIANT grow from nothing to something pretty special in just 2.5 years. For that, I am eternally, limitlessly, and unconditionally grateful.
You mean more to me that I can possibly express.
Happy Thanksgiving, all. Be safe, be merry, and have so much fun with those that matter the most.